Monday, January 14, 2008

The swimming team



The Swimming Team
Swimming is always my favorite since I have over came the fear of the water. I feel free like an astronaut when I am floating in the water. I like the water and wave pass through whole of the body. It is the natural massage. Also the speed in the water let me merge with the unexplainable power.
In the Fuqua School, I still keep my swimming skill and practice very hard to enhance my skills and stamina. I have joined our school team, “The Falcons” and the local YMCA swimming team, “The Stingray”. Everyday, I swim around 1 kilometer. It makes me have a regular exercising habit. Sometime, I want to take a challenge so I swim continually for 2 miles or more. I also join a “ Cross the English Channel Swimming Marathon” of the YMCA. I get to swim for 19 miles.
My coach is a patient and experienced teacher. She teaches me how to swim efficiently. I couldn’t do diving couple months ago. After she encouraged me try to jump into the water safely and smoothly, I tried many times to dive but like a cannon ball, I always splash over the place and hurt my belly. As a proverb says” Practice makes perfect”, I practice it everyday. I didn’t if it is because my belly becomes stronger for big crash or my diving skill is really better, I started feel better after diving. Gradually, I Started flying for couple yard and then entered the water. Now, I can accelerate myself since the deck, go into the water with a smooth curve in the air and start paddling after sliding for 25 yard.
The swimming team is like a big family. We have traveled to the other school for meeting. We practice together, laugh together and even sleep together in the activity bus. I made many friends in the team. They are all very good at swimming and friendly to me.
The latest meeting, we went to the Hargrave Military Academy for meeting. That was two hours from our school. On the bus, everybody crowded together and chatted. We arrived the pool and started warm up. The swimming pool has 26 lanes and the deep altitude. When I started swimming, I realized that the water is really powerful to make me floating. Sooner, the meeting started and I would have 4 events. I got to swim 500 yards continually in one event. Because it was the first time I swam in the large pool, I couldn’t realize the environment very well. I didn’t know which lane was mine so I spent lots of time on finding the lane. When I got the right lane, I wore my goggles in rush. While the second I jumped out the deck, suddenly I realized I wore the goggles upside down. Of course the rapid water took my goggles off so I stop in the other side and tried to put it back. I wasted lots of time on that. That was my most funny memory. Swimming is a great way to make your body natural and strong. Anyone can swim and it is not a dangerous activity at all when you go to the right place. To me, swimming is another way to social other people.


No comments: