Sunday, October 28, 2007

Home coming Week

Home coming Week
This week was the craziest week in October. Home coming week!
Every school day, we needed to disguise ourselves as a cop, a robber. And even a deer. Each day, everyone wore as special as they could. I also prepared a deer hat. It looked funny.
In the end of the week, Friday, we had a school spirit parade. We, sophomores also had our parade truck. We decorated the truck as a game, which was played with a ball. I also made many friends during the work. Morgan, a genius in our school worked with me. We bowed many balloons and put them on the truck. We also drew many pictures. After that, another classmates asked me to draw many bubbles and patterns on the post. These two classmates are Abby and Aaron. They are pretty nice and friendly.
After work, we needed to stick the post onto the truck. We used tape but finally we used hammer and nails to fasten it. Aaron was very curious about the hammer so she took it and tried to use hammer. I couldn’t imagine that American girl was really strong. ‘’Bang Bang’’ she almost killed my thumbs. We laughed with each other a lot.
Finally we went to get on a school bus to for parade. The bus will take us to the downtown. We got off at the front of the Prince Edward courthouse and waited for parade coming. That time, I met a new friend; David who had wore a hearing aid. Soon. We became good friends with each other.
The parade was really cool. At the start, we had marching band and big jeeps. In the middle, there was sport teams show off. Finally, our truck came. The truck was really interesting. There was a student in a bathtub washing his body. Morgan was a person who controlled a basket to catch a mouse. The parade lasted for half of an hour. I had a good time.
On Saturday, Jackie gave us an art class. We learn how to use simple lined, strokes creating nature rhythm. Unlike art class in Taiwan, she encouraged me to free my strokes. An hour later, I finished two good post cards.
This Saturday was also my first swimming meeting. One o’clock afternoon, we went to the French pool. There were bunch of swimmer. Ms. Paw helped me to know which event I joined. I had 100 yards breaststroke and 50 yards free style. I knew that was just a practicing meeting. To turning, and me who couldn’t even diving I could only do as best as I could. In the event, although I was not the first prize, I didn’t fall behind others too much. It was a good grade to me.
After swimming, the most expected activity in this month was coming. Home coming dance! After dinner, I went to my room and took out the formal suit that my father brought for me in Taiwan. It is elegant gray. I put on my suit carefully and tided my tie. In front of the mirror, I told to myself ‘’ it is my first night, I will not miss it.’’ I was on the way to school.
Arrived school early, Vine and I tool a walk around the gym where was dance. We were both nervous about the dance. To him, party has another bad meaning in Brazil. To me, a hick from Taiwan, which is a conservative country, dance, was not my experience. I was in panic. I didn’t know how to dance and socialize.
Finally, the dance started. Every couple danced with each other closely. I just walked around and said Hello to my acquaintance. I didn’t know how to get rid of this kind of embarrassment.
I tried to find a person who didn’t have partner but I couldn’t find out. I met my friend Blue who had the partner. He asked me whether I had a partner or not. I said that I didn't have one. He said that was a shame. Her partner Aaron said that she would dance with me later. I was appreciated that I could have a dancing partner. During the waiting time, I talked to Morgan who didn’t want to have a partner. We talked many subjects and field. From American literature and American country song to the technology of hydrogen, we realized that we both like reading and thinking.
After talking, I went to the snack station for some snack. Suddenly, I saw that Aaron had no partner so I went to ask her for dance. I couldn’t believe that I had that such great confident to ask a girl for dance but I did. The first dance was just unbelievable. Actually I didn’t know how to dance so I just followed by my partner’s step. Soon, I removed my shyness and started talk with her. She is an Irish emigrant who moved to Virginia from Florida. I imitated other people’s style. I put pair of my hand around her waist. I had almost no experience to touch other people’s body, especially girl. It seemed like I place my hand around her waist. In fact, I maintained my hand in the air to keep from touching. Suddenly, She did one thing that I couldn’t forget. She put her hand on my hand and pressed my hand on her waist without any word. I looked at her and got a safe expression. I knew my face turning red but I was happy and safe. It was my first dance. I couldn’t hear the loud music but her pulsation. It was touching.
In the middle of night, Ham’s host parents picked me up. My brother and I were invited to their home this weekend. In Ham’s father’s car, there were 7 people filled of a 4-seats car. We were all happy and talked with each other.
On the bed, I couldn’t fell asleep. I was excited. I did one thing that I never did in Taiwan. It was just wonderful.


No comments: